Join gaming and metaverse leaders online at the GamesBeat Summit this February 1-2: Into the Metaverse 3. register here.
At this point, I don’t know what to expect from Geoff Keighley.Every year, I start Game Awards Knowing exactly what they are, they deliver on that promise. Meaning, they’re trailers and cameos. But somehow, something always happens that catches me off guard. This year, Al Pacino made an appearance, handing out acting awards among all; a genuinely enjoyable Animal cameo (and his back and forth with Bear McCreary, who seemed genuinely happy to see him); and finally, a random Kid, who ruined Hidetaka Miyazaki’s acceptance speech. It’s been a strange night.
Overall, I’m satisfied, if not surprised by how the night went. I’m glad Christopher Judge won the acting award, although I’m a bit biased towards Sunny Suljic (as is Judge himself, I’m sure). I’m glad Bayonetta 3 won Best Action Game.But let’s talk about the trailer – speaking of Bayonetta, I no expect new game in the series So fast, let alone an artistic puzzle platformer. But now I want it and have to have it.i’m almost as excited Hades 2considering I’ve been telling anyone who will listen to Hades and Persephone’s other children, now we’ve seen at least one.
In non-Game Awards news, the Federal Trade Commission has stepped in with Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision. The FTC sued to block the acquisition, citing antitrust grounds. I would caution anyone against siding with Microsoft immediately. So far, the main arguments against the acquisition come from Sony, and they’re absurd and self-serving, to put it mildly. But just because Sony’s arguments lack convincing doesn’t mean the FTC is without merit. I’m curious to see how it turns out.
As for what games I’m playing… Honestly, all the games I want to play this year have already been released. So between now and the big release in 2023, I’m catching up. I think I’ll end up playing games I haven’t tried yet, like Dying Light 2 and Splatoon 3. A lot of games are on Game Pass, and I have a lot of work to do.
what to play this week
what is new:
- hello neighbor 2
- chain echo
- Dragon Quest Treasure
- sword boat
- Knights of Honor II: Monarch
- Samurai girl
- dress up
New subscription service:
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Xbox Game Pass)
- Metal: Hellsinger (Xbox Game Pass)
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PlayStation Plus)
- Divine Knockout: Founder’s Edition (PlayStation Plus)
- Biological Mutants (PlayStation Plus)
- Earthquake (main game)
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Prime Gaming)
- The Amazing American Circus (Prime Gaming)
- Banner of Ruins (Prime Gaming)
- Spinch (main game)
- Son of the Desert (Prime Gaming)
- Gate: Paradox (Prime Gaming)
- Mystery of the Rose 2: Shadow of the Werewolf (Prime Gaming)
- Windshield 2 (Luna Prime)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trail From Zero (Luna Supreme)
- Dusk (Luna Prime)
- Jogger (Luna Prime)
- The Smurfs: An Evil Mission (Luna Prime)
- Saints Row IV (now GeForce)
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (GeForce Now)
- JellyCar Worlds (Apple Arcade)
The GamesBeat Credo Reports that the games industry is “where passion meets business”. What does it mean? We want to tell you how important news is to you – not just as a game studio decision maker, but as a game fan. Whether you’re reading our articles, listening to our podcasts or watching our videos, GamesBeat will help you understand the industry and enjoy being a part of it. Discover our newsletter.